ACPS is seeking input from families, staff, and community members about the development of the 2022-24 school year calendars. A survey is available through Nov. 7, 2021.
The Academic Calendar Committee met in May and June and reconvened again in September to review community input from families, staff and community members from the public comment period in May 2021. This input was used to develop the proposed 2022-2024 school year calendars. The calendar committee is composed of the following members:
- Representatives from elementary, middle and high school principals
- Representatives from the PTA Council
- Representatives from parents of elementary, middle and high school students
- ACPS teachers, staff and administration representatives
Key features of the proposed 2022-2024 school year calendars include:
- Pre-Labor Day start to the school year to support student success and reduce summer learning loss while providing the most classroom time before Advanced Placement (AP) exam testing
- Recognition of diverse holidays in alignment with the 2025 “Equity for All” Strategic Plan, including racial equity in the designated holidays for students and staff
- Fall full-day conferences and two half-day spring conferences with differing conference dates for elementary school, middle school and high school
- Eight professional development days
- More than the minimum 990 instructional hours to support unexpected closings (such as snow days)
- 195 teacher days to meet contractual requirements
The proposed school year calendars encompass two school years: 2022-2024. A two-year calendar cycle improves long-range plans for school programs, facilities projects and operational services. Families will also be able to better plan and schedule family activities.
Please take the opportunity to review and comment on the proposed options for the Traditional Academic Calendar and the Samuel Tucker Modified Academic Calendar for 2022-2024 located on the ACPS Calendars webpage.
- Traditional Academic Calendar: Take the poll to submit your comments on the Traditional Academic Calendar for 2022–2024.
- Samuel Tucker Modified Academic Calendar: Take the poll to submit your comments on the Samuel Tucker Modified Academic Calendar for 2022–2024.
The poll will be available for comment through Friday, Nov. 7, 2021.
The Academic Calendar Committee and ACPS administrators will review the responses to determine the general sentiment in support of the proposed 2021-2024 school year calendars and the recommended changes for each school year. A calendar recommendation will then be made to the superintendent.
The superintendent will present the recommended calendar for School Board approval at a December 2021 Board meeting. Once approved, the adopted calendars will be posted on the ACPS website and published in ACPS Express, ACPS Insider and on social media.