Each year the Washington Post hosts its Principal of the Year and Teacher of the Year Awards to recognize excellence in education in the Washington region.
All members of the ACPS community, including parents, students, residents and ACPS staff, are invited to make their teacher nominations and submit them to the principal of the teacher’s school. Each principal will then choose one nominee from their school to go on to the ACPS finalists round.
To nominate a teacher, send a written statement of support to their principal. See the criteria below to help write your statement.
To nominate your principal, please contact your school’s assistant principal.
For teachers, nominees must meet the following criteria:
- Instill in students a desire to learn and achieve.
- Understand the individual needs of students, encourage their talents and foster their self-esteem.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of subject matter and the ability to share it effectively with students.
- Foster cooperative relationships with their colleagues and the community.
- Demonstrate outstanding leadership.
- Maintain their teaching position throughout the 2020-21 school year.
For principals, nominees must meet the following criteria:
- Manage effectively.
- Demonstrate and encourage creativity and innovation.
- Foster cooperation between the school and the community.
- Maintain a continuing dialogue with students and parents as well as faculty and staff.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field of education.
- Encourage team spirit.
- Demonstrate leadership and exemplify commitment.
- Continue to play an active role in the classroom.
- Maintain their position as principal throughout the 2019-20 school year.
The ACPS Principal of the Year and Teacher of the Year will be selected by an ACPS panel in early 2020 and will be announced in mid-April. They will become finalists for the Washington Post awards, which will publish its winners on April 20, 2020.
Get letters of support to your principals for teacher nominations by 4pm on January 10. Principals have until 5pm on January 17 to submit their nominee’s packet to central office.