The Office of Communications and Public Relations uses a variety of ways to reach families in case of an emergency.
So that we can keep you informed, please make sure your child’s emergency contact information is accurate, current and updated as needed. To update this information, please contact your child’s school directly and sign up to receive emergency email or text messages at www.acps.k12.va.us/lists. Carry the Emergency Procedure Card with you at all times. Visit www.acps.k12.va.us/emergency to download and print this card.
During an emergency our first priority is to do what is needed to protect students. ACPS will then communicate to parents as quickly as possible once we have accurate information to disseminate.
- Be assured, schools participate in emergency drills throughout the year, and staff and emergency responders are prepared for emergency situations.
- DO NOT call or rush to your child’s school. Phone lines, staff and local roads are needed for emergency response efforts.
- DO NOT phone/text your child. The noise of cell phones and phone conversations could put students in danger. Also, students need to be paying attention to the instructions from trained staff. Conflicting instructions from parents may put a child’s safety at risk.
In the event of an Evacuation, students will be relocated to an appropriate evacuation assembly area. If students have been relocated due to an emergency, only parents/ guardians listed as emergency contacts will be directed by school or public safety officials to their child’s specific location. All individuals will be required to present a valid picture ID such as a driver’s license, military ID, Permanent Resident ID card or passport.
To feel comfortable in emergency situations, stay informed of emergency terms and procedures to help understand the communication that is relayed during an emergency.
- A lock-in takes place if a threat is identified outside the school. All school doors are locked, but classes continue as normal. No entry into or exit from the school will be allowed.
- A lockdown takes place if a threat is identified inside the school. All school doors are locked, and students are confined to classrooms. No entry into or exit from the school will be allowed.
- During a Shelter-in-Place, students take refuge in designated areas, to protect from hazardous materials or severe weather. Entry or exit from the school will be controlled.
Emergencies caused by inclement weather, that will cause ACPS to close or open late, will be announced by 5:30 a.m.
Emergency information will be distributed via: