ACPS is in the midst of selecting new secondary mathematics textbooks and materials that can be adopted once the final budget is passed and funds are available in July. It takes time to make sure we have the right materials in the classrooms by September and that teachers have an opportunity to receive training to use them. That said, we are starting the process now and would like your input.
Why is ACPS adopting new secondary math materials?
ACPS wants to ensure that the teachers and students in Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II and Precalculus have the most recent math textbooks and instructional resources aligned with the Virginia Standards of Learning.
What does this mean in the classroom?
It means that:
- Teachers and students will have instructional materials that are culturally responsive and better reflect the diversity in our classrooms.
- Teachers and students will have access to integrated electronic resources that support teaching and learning.
- There will be more equity across classrooms and schools. Teachers will have the tools they need to more effectively differentiate their instruction so that each student gets the instruction they need — including English Learners and students with disabilities.
- Teachers will have access to assessments that are aligned with state standards, enabling them to better monitor student progress towards those standards.
To ensure that teachers and students are getting the most benefit from the new materials, teachers will receive grade-level professional development over the summer, during professional development and curriculum days and in their professional learning communities.
As part of the adoption process, ACPS is inviting teachers, administrators and parents to review the recommended textbooks and instructional resources and provide comments to ACPS.
You can view the VDOE list of approved math textbooks online.
ACPS Staff Review
ACPS teachers, administrators and staff can review the proposed textbooks in the following school libraries during school hours through March 29, 2019:
- Francis C. Hammond Middle School: Math 6-8, Algebra I, and Geometry
- George Washington Middle School: Math 6-8, Algebra I and Geometry
- T.C. Williams High School Minnie Howard Campus: Algebra I, Algebra II and Geometry
- T.C. Williams High School King Street Campus: Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry and Precalculus
The public may also review all of the secondary mathematics texts at ACPS Central Office, 1340 Braddock Place, Room 320-31 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. This includes materials for Grade 6-8, Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry and Precalculus.
All visitors to Central Office must sign in at the desk in the front lobby. View transportation and parking information.