As the cold weather settles in and we brace for winter weather, we would like to remind you how to stay informed about school closings or delayed openings.
Closings and Delayed Openings
If schools are to be closed or have a delayed opening, we will begin distributing that message as early as possible. We aim to have the message out by 5:30 a.m. at the latest, but this is dependent on may complicated factors. Phone calls will NOT be made. Please make sure your school registrar has the primary parent or guardian’s correct cell phone number and email address in our system so that you receive our weather alerts by text message and email.
The message will also be shared on:
- the ACPS website
- ACPS Twitter and Facebook accounts
- the ACPS mobile app
- ACPS-TV local cable channel 71
- the ACPS emergency hotline at 703-866-5300
- local radio and TV stations
- the City of Alexandria’s eNews
Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Weather Alerts and Emergency Notifications
See our Weather Alerts and Emergency Notifications Frequently Asked Questions for answers to questions such as:
- Why am I not receiving weather alerts and emergency notifications from ACPS?
- Other school divisions around us have a delayed opening or are closed — or vice versa. Why not us?
- How does ACPS plan to address missed instructional time?
…and many more!