On Tuesday, November 6, Alexandria voters will elect School Board members to represent each of the three districts in the City of Alexandria (PDF).
On Wednesday, October 24, from 7 to 9 p.m. at Minnie Howard Campus, voters will have the opportunity to ask questions and hear from the candidates for all nine School Board seats during a public forum. The event is sponsored by the Alexandria PTA Council (PTAC), whose goal is to support the education of all of our city’s children.
The forum will include time with all of the candidates for the first hour, then question-and-answer sessions by district for the second hour.
Did you know?
- The School Board is an elected body of nine members that adopts policy for the daily operation of schools and sees that school laws are properly explained, enforced and observed.
- Voters can vote for up to three candidates in their district.
- Each School Board member serves a three-year term, with current terms expiring on December 31, 2018.
- The School Board Chair receives $17,000 and Board Members receive $15,000 per year.
Learn more about how the School Board works:
On the ACPS website you can:
- Learn more about the Alexandria City School Board.
- Read School Board policies.
- Watch live and recorded School Board meetings.
- See School Board meeting agendas and documents.
- View the School Board meeting schedule.
- Sign up to speak at a School Board meeting.
The candidates for each district are:
- William (Bill) Campbell
- Jacinta Greene
- W. Christopher (Chris) Harris
- Michelle Rief
- Marc Solomon
- Chris Suarez
- Cynthia (Cindy) Anderson
- Jewelyn Cosgrove
- Margaret Lorber
- Veronica Nolan
- Abigail Downs Wacek
- Meagan Alderton
- Ramee Gentry
- John Lennon
- Dianara Saget
- Heather Thornton
Those listed in bold are current school board members.