It’s open enrollment time – the period during which you may enroll in a health plan, change your health insurance elections or sign up for a tax-free Flexible Spending Account and more. Now is the time to consider health insurance options for 2019-20 so that you can make the best choices for you and your family.
Open enrollment will run from Tuesday, April 30 through Friday, May 31. The benefits you elect during the open enrollment period will remain in effect for the period from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020, unless you have a qualifying life event (marriage, divorce, birth or adoption of a child), at which time you may make changes to your benefit elections.
Choose Your Options
Generally, no action is required if you wish to keep your current health insurance plans. If you do nothing, your current health insurance elections will continue. However, you must enroll during Open Enrollment if you want to participate in the new UnitedHealthcare QHP with Health Savings Account or if you want to participate in the healthcare and/or dependent care flexible spending accounts.
Action needed from Administrators and Support Employees Grade 25 or higher: you must enroll online via Employee Self Service (ESS) even if you have no changes in your health plans. Affected employees will receive an email from HRBenefits@acps.k12.va.us to enroll online via Employee Self-Service (ESS). Please take time to review the Health Insurance Open Enrollment Guide (PDF), which provides details about open enrollment, and instructions for making your elections through Employee Self Service (ESS).
Attend an Information Session
Please plan to attend an open enrollment information session this month, where you can meet with human resources staff and representatives from our various plans and get answers to your questions. Representatives from Kaiser, UnitedHealthcare, CareFirst, EyeMed, and 403(b) and 457 plan vendors, including ICMA-RC, the defined contribution plan administrator for the Virginia Retirement System Hybrid plan will be present. You can also:
- Relax and enjoy a free seated massage
- Sample healthy food and drinks and learn about ACPS Finding Fit, our employee wellness program
- Find out more about the third health plan option: the new UnitedHealthcare QHP with Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Get details about “Real Appeal,” a UnitedHealthcare wellness program that promotes healthy diet and physical activity for lasting weight loss
Please mark your calendar and plan to attend one of the following sessions:
- T.C. Williams High School Cafeteria, Tuesday, April 30, from 3 to 6 pm
- George Washington Middle School Cafeteria, Tuesday, May 7, from 3 to 6 pm
- Central Office School Board Room, Thursday, May 16, from 3 to 6 pm
- Hammond Middle School Cafeteria, Wednesday, May 22, from 3 to 6 pm
Have questions about Open Enrollment?
Please email HRBenefits@acps.k12.va.us.