Did you know that more than 54% of ACPS students belong to families whose home language is different than English?
To help communicate effectively with our families, all ACPS employees have immediate access to a live phone interpreter service called Language Line.
This service is paid for by the ACPS Office of English Language Services.
Language Line can be used when the Limited English Speaker is with you in person, or over the phone as a conference call. Language Line can be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. There are no advance requests or scheduling needed.
Each ACPS school, plus ACPS Central Office, has a particular access code that protects us from unauthorized users making calls. Make sure you are familiar with this code so you have it on hand when you need it. To get your code, contact ACPS Language Access Coordinator Víctor Espinosa Sánchez at email@example.com.
How to use Language Line:
- When all parties are present, dial the Language Line number: 1-866-874-3972
- Enter on your telephone keypad or provide the representative with this 6-digit client ID: 522320
- Press 1 for Spanish.
- Press 2 for all other languages and when prompted, say the name of the language needed.
- Enter your 4-digit School Access Code (each school/Central Office has a unique code).
- Brief the interpreter by summarizing what you wish to accomplish and give any special instructions.
- Add the Limited English Speaker to the line.
- Once the call is complete, say “End of Call” to the interpreter.
Tips for Conference Calls (e.g. a phone call to/from a parent who would like an interpreter over-the-phone):
- Make sure you have the caller’s phone number in case you get cut off.
- Place the incoming requestor call on “conference hold” by pressing the hold button.
- On another outside line, dial the Language Line number and follow the instructions above until connected with an interpreter.
- When the interpreter is on the line, tap the “conference hold” button again and you will all be connected.
Find more information about interpretation and translation services available to ACPS staff.