Over the past few years, ACPS has provided tuition assistance at a reimbursement rate of 100 percent. In reviewing this practice, examining the breadth of the funds, benchmarking other local school divisions, and getting feedback, ACPS is modifying how tuition assistance will be offered to our employees by limiting the amount an employee can receive in one year. We see the need to be more inclusive and ensure funds are available for more of our employees. ACPS will offer tuition assistance for those teachers and administrators who desire to further their professional knowledge in a college or university setting. This change will result in reaching more employees’ needs to help offset tuition rates. The courses eligible for tuition assistance are classified according to the ACPS priority list below:
- Dual certification in ELL or Special Education certification holding more than one endorsement and;
- Math: content and instruction and;
- Reading: content and instruction and;
- Honors/Talented and Gifted and;
- Educational Leadership.
In order to ensure these funds reach more employees, we will allot equal funds for the fall, spring, and summer semesters. Interested employees must complete an application and provide documentation at the completion of the class. Additionally:
- Tuition assistance is limited to the ACPS School Board priorities.
- There are limited funds that are distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis until allocated funds are depleted. 33% of funds will be available in the fall, 34% in the spring, and 33% in the summer.
- Effective July 1, 2017, the rate of tuition assistance is limited to $800 per 3 credit hours and does not cover other costs such as fees or books. An employee can have up to two 3 credit courses approved per school year ($1,600).
Applicants will send the Tuition Assistance Application to Sherry Thomas (email@example.com)
By making these changes in our tuition assistance program we will ensure that we will reach more employees and provide reimbursements throughout the school year.
Please contact Sherry Thomas (firstname.lastname@example.org) for any questions or logistical concerns.
Frequently Asked Questions FAQs