Multiple Modalities is an instructional practice used to improve student engagement. It involves providing diverse presentations, and experiences of the content so that students use different senses and different skills during a single lesson. Often multiple modalities addresses different learning styles. Teachers using multiple modalities may use visuals, music, objects, experiences, collaborative work, poetry, writing, and/or other modes to teach content.
Objective: By the end of the video, viewers will have an understanding of how to improve student engagement by guiding students to access content through varied modalities.
Essential Question: How can I provide multiple ways to access content?
Questions to consider as you watch the video:
- What are the different ways Ms. Artis presents the content?
- What different types of interests or intelligences are accessed?
- How do the different modes of teaching lead to student mastery of the content?
- How can I bring this practice into my instruction?
Tools & Templates on Multiple Modalities
- Professional Learning Implementation Tool- Multiple Modalities
- Multiple Modalities Menu
- Multiple Modalities Menu- Blank
- MI Student Survey- What is Your Learning Style?
Texts on Multiple Intelligence or Multiple Modalities:
- Teaching to Multiple Intelligences Webpost from Edutopia
- Teaching with Multiple Modalities Webpost by ReadWriteThink
Tools & Templates used in the Lesson:
Lesson Plan: Lunar Phases
Templates & PowerPoint: